Insurance for Undergraduates 2016 - 2017
Mandatory Health Insurance
The University of California Board of Regents requires that all undergraduate students have major medical health insurance as a non-academic condition of enrollment. UCR offers an Undergraduate Student Health Insurance Plan (USHIP) to meet this requirement. The USHIP requirement can also be met by a comparable private insurance plan.
The annual cost of the mandatory Undergraduate Student Health Insurance Plan (USHIP) of $1,629.07 ($543.03 per quarter) or comparable off campus insurance, will be factored into grants, loans and work-study programs offered to students who receive financial assistance.
Students already covered by adequate health insurance can waive the requirement by submitting the waiver form to the Student Health Services.
Note: Access to SHIP benefits off-campus requires a SHS referral except in cases of urgent care, emergency care, care by a pediatrician or obstetrician for maternity care or outside of a 50 mile radius from campus.
Description of Benefits
- No Lifetime Maximum (Off Campus benefits payable at 90%)
- $200 annual deductible
- No Pre-existing Condition Clause
- Hospital coverage and Outpatient Surgery
- Office Visits coverage (no co-pay on campus and $17 co-pay for off-campus specialty providers with additional PPO provider expenses covered at 90% off-campus)
- No prescription benefit maximum (30-day supply per prescription). $5 co-pay on-campus and off-campus for generic prescriptions
- Surgery coverage, including anesthetist and assistant surgeon (PPO provider covered at 90%)
- Emergency room coverage (i.e., PPO covered at 90%)
- Ambulance coverage ground and air transport
- Laboratory coverage (no co-pay on campus, i.e., PPO provider covered at 90%)
- Radiology coverage (no co-pay on campus, i.e., PPO provider covered at 90%)
- Physical therapy co-pay of $17
- Nervous and Mental Conditions Office Visits $17 co-pay (90% coverage PPO provider)
- Repatriation benefit of $25,000 in accordance with federal J-1 visa requirements
- Medical evacuation benefit of $50,000 in accordance with federal J-1 visa requirements
- Benefits payable at 90% at Anthem Network facilities; In-network, payable at 90%; Out-of-network payable at 60%. Network: Anthem Blue Cross
- Vision coverage, Blue View Vision
- Dental coverage, Delta Dental
We want you to get the most out of your pharmacy plan.
The more you know, the more you can save.
NOTE: SHIP is secondary to all other programs. For answers to questions about enrollment, policy benefits, and claims - stop by or call (951) 827-5683. Brochures are available at SHS or online at studentinsurance.wellsfargo.com/. To access your plan coverage and insurance cards, click here.