- SHIP provides nationwide coverage- Exchange plans or private insurance plans may not provide national coverage.
- SHIP offers the most convenience- Students can see a doctor and nurse on campus with no out-of-pocket expense. X-rays, lab work and even prescriptions are available. With other health insurance plans, students pay out-of-pocket or will have to go off campus for covered care.
- SHIP provides vision and dental coverage at no extra cost– With many other health plans, vision and dental coverage is EXTRA.
- SHIP meets all the requirements of the Affordable Care Act.
- A student can be covered by SHIP even if the family is participating in Covered CA or a home state exchange plan.
For more information go to: The Center for Disease control website at: http://www.cdc.gov/flu/
Resources for Faculty and Staff
MESSAGE TO OUR UCR STUDENTS... YOU’RE COVERED BY SHIP:
As a student, you are automatically enrolled in UCR’s Student Health Insurance Program (SHIP) and exempt from purchasing a plan on the Covered CA website or your home state exchange. SHIP meets the requirements of the Affordable Care Act (ACA), gives you nationwide coverage, and offers the big advantage of convenient, on-campus care. Find out more about SHIP.
If you waived out of SHIP, but now realize it is the best plan for your needs, you can rejoin! Simply call the Student Health Services (SHS) Insurance office at (951) 827-5683 to sign up again.
If you have insurance and wish to be exempt from the UC SHIP Plan, your insurance plan must meet the following criteria:
- Must provide primary care within 50 miles of campus (or your address while attending UCR).
- Cannot limit the amount it will pay for any injury or illness you have during your lifetime
- Cannot have a pharmacy deductible greater than $250 per year
- Cannot require you to pay out-of pocket more than $6,350 per year
- Cannot have a clause that excludes a pre-existing condition
- International Plans
- no reimbursement plans accepted
- must have claims office in the United States
If your plan meets the criteria and you would like to waive SHIP, submit an online waiver form by the appropriate deadline. You only need to submit one per year. There is a $50 fee for late forms. Forms will not be accepted after the first day of instruction.
- Fall Quarter (June 1 - September 12)
- Winter Quarter (November 1 - December 12)
- Spring Quarter (February 1 - March 12).
UC Riverside now offers students that have opted out of the Student Health Insurance Plan an alternative for receiving BASIC MEDICAL CARE at Student Health Services: Highlander Care. Learn more here.
The mission of the Student Health Services is to promote academic excellence, enrich the student experience and support retention by providing high quality, accessible and comprehensive medical care to students, with a focus on multidisciplinary services, health education and prevention.
When you're in need of after hours care you may be tempted to rush off to the emergency room (ER). But there are important differences between an urgent care center and the ER. Learn more about the difference between Emergency Care and Urgent Care.
As of July 1, at least seven cases of invasive meningococcal disease have been reported in Los Angeles County, California, since May, bringing the 2016 total to 11 cases (map). According to health officials, the majority of the cases have occurred among adult men, with at least four of the cases specifically among men who have sex with men (MSM, as designated by the WHO). Investigations into these cases are ongoing. For more information view the pdf World Cue.