Health Insurance for Graduate Students
The University of California Board of Regents has established a requirement that all graduate students have major medical health insurance as a non-academic condition of enrollment. UCR offers a Graduate Student Health Insurance Plan (GSHIP) to meet this requirement or it may be met by a comparable private health insurance plan.
The annual cost of the mandatory Graduate Student Health Insurance Plan (GSHIP) of $3,841.68 ($1,280.56 per quarter), or the cost of comparable off-campus insurance, will be factored into grants and loans offered to students who receive financial assistance.
Students already covered by adequate health insurance can waive the requirement by completing the waiver application.
Note: Access to SHIP benefits off-campus requires a SHS referral except in cases of urgent care, emergency care care by a pediatrician or obstetrician for maternity care, or care outside of a 50-mile radius from campus.
Benefits at a Glance
Note: Please refer to the benefits book for a full description of benefits.
- No lifetime maximum (off-campus benefits payable at 90%)
- $200 annual deductible (off-campus providers)
- No preexisting condition clause
- Hospital coverage and outpatient surgery
- Office visits coverage (no co-pay on-campus and $17 co-pay for off-campus PPO specialty providers)
- No prescription benefit maximum (30-day supply per prescription); $5 co-pay on-campus and off-campus for generic prescriptions
- Surgery coverage, including anesthetist and assistant surgeon (PPO provider 90%)
- $100 copay for emergency room coverage
- Ambulance coverage ground (10%) and air transport (covered 100%)
- Laboratory coverage (no co-pay on-campus, i.e., PPO provider covered at 90%)
- Radiology coverage (no co-pay on-campus, i.e., PPO provider covered at 90%)
- Physical therapy co-pay of $15.
- Nervous and mental conditions office visits $17 co-pay
- Repatriation benefit of $25,000 in accordance with federal J-1 visa requirements
- Medical evacuation benefit of $50,000 in accordance with federal J-1 visa requirements
- Benefits payable at 90% at Anthem Blue Cross network facilities; out-of-network payable at 60%
- Medical coverage is administered by Anthem Blue Cross
- Dental coverage is administered by Delta Dental
- Vision coverage is administered by Blue View Vision Insight
We want you to get the most out of your pharmacy plan. Learn how using OptumRX can help you manage your pharmacy plan and save money on your prescriptions.
NOTE: UC SHIP is secondary to all other programs. For answers to questions about enrollment, policy benefits, and claims, call (951) 827-3031. Use the StudentHealth app to access your plan coverage and insurance cards.
Specific claims information can be obtained by calling SHS at (951) 827-3031.
Visit ucop.edu/UC SHIP to view brochures and obtain more information.