Student Health Services
Cold season is here. Get ahead of the flu and protect your health. Flu Clinics are now available at Student Health. Click here for more info.
***First Flu Clinic October 11th 1-4pm. No charge for students with SHIP. $26 for non SHIP***
Automated reminders are being sent out to students regarding the UC Immunization mandate. If you have already complied, please disregard. Status is updated once verification is completed. Students that have submitted documents will be given additional time to meet compliance if submitted documents are found not to meet UC requirements.
Please do not resubmit documents unless requested by Student Health Services staff.
Measles Health Advisory 2019
The symptoms of measles generally appear about 7-21 days after a person is infected. Measles typically begins with high fever, cough, runny nose (coryza), red, watery eyes (conjunctivitis), and tiny, white spots inside the mouth (Koplik spots). Three to five days after symptoms begin, a red, raised rash will appear on the face at the hairline and spread downward throughout the body. A person is considered contagious four days before and after the rash appears.
What should I do if I think I’ve been exposed to measles?
• Determine if you are already immunized
You’re immunized if you have had two doses of the MMR vaccine after age 1, or a positive titer. If you don’t have either of these, please book an online immunization appointment through Student Health Services
• If diagnosed, please consider staying home
There is no specific treatment for measles. If you have symptoms, please stay at home, drink plenty of fluids and take a fever reducer such as Tylenol.
• Contact us if you have questions
If you would like additional medical advice, please send a message through the Student Health Center Patient Portal
Introducing Live Health Online
Live Health Online makes accessing health services easy when Student Health Services are closed, or when you're away from campus. UCSHIP has partnered with LiveHealthOnline for online video appointments (telemedicine) with a physician when SHS is closed.For more information please click here. To access this service click here.
Check here first for the most common FAQs about immunization and some helpful THINGS TO KNOW about immunization requirements.
Resources for Faculty and Staff
YOU’RE COVERED BY SHIP!
As a student, you are automatically enrolled in UCR’s Student Health Insurance Program (SHIP) and exempt from purchasing a plan on the Covered CA website or your home state exchange. SHIP meets the requirements of the Affordable Care Act (ACA), gives you nationwide coverage, and offers the big advantage of convenient, on-campus care. Find out more about SHIP.
Why SHIP is a Good Plan
- SHIP provides nationwide coverage- Exchange plans or private insurance plans may not provide national coverage.
- SHIP offers the most convenience- Students can see a doctor and nurse on campus with no out-of-pocket expense. X-rays, lab work and even prescriptions are available. With other health insurance plans, students pay out-of-pocket or will have to go off campus for covered care.
- SHIP provides vision and dental coverage at no extra cost– With many other health plans, vision and dental coverage is EXTRA.
- SHIP meets all the requirements of the Affordable Care Act.
- A student can be covered by SHIP even if the family is participating in Covered CA or a home state exchange plan.
You Can Rejoin SHIP
If you waived out of SHIP, but now realize it is the best plan for your needs, you can rejoin! Simply call the Student Health Services (SHS) Insurance office at (951) 827-5683 to sign up again.
Before You Submit a Waiver
If you have insurance and wish to be exempt from the UC SHIP Plan, your insurance plan must meet the following criteria:
- Must provide primary care within 50 miles of campus (or your address while attending UCR).
- Cannot limit the amount it will pay for any injury or illness you have during your lifetime
- Cannot have a pharmacy deductible greater than $250 per year
- Cannot require you to pay out-of pocket more than $6,350 per year
- Cannot have a clause that excludes a pre-existing condition
- no reimbursement plans accepted
- must have claims office in the United States
How to Submit a Waiver
If your plan meets the criteria and you would like to waive SHIP, submit an online waiver form by the appropriate deadline. You only need to submit one per year. There is a $50 fee for late forms. Forms will not be accepted after the first day of instruction.
University of California Riverside -Domestic Student Login Link: http://www2.academichealthplans.com//school/7008.html
University of California Riverside – International Student Login Link: http://www2.academichealthplans.com//school/7009.html
- Fall Quarter (June 1 - September 12)
- Winter Quarter (November 1 - December 16)
- Spring Quarter (February 1 - March 13).
UC Riverside now offers students that have opted out of the Student Health Insurance Plan an alternative for receiving BASIC MEDICAL CARE at Student Health Services: Highlander Care. Learn more here.