Student Health Services
Health Alert: Passengers from Wuhan, China!
If you have been to Wuhan in the past two weeks and have symptoms of fever, cough, or difficulty breathing, please contact your doctor immediately.
健康预警 : 来自中国武汉的旅客请注意
What you need to know about 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV).
Introducing Live Health Online
Live Health Online makes accessing health services easy when Student Health Services are closed, or when you're away from campus. UCSHIP has partnered with LiveHealthOnline for online video appointments (telemedicine) with a physician when SHS is closed. Learn more about video visits with a doctor.
Check here first for the most common FAQs about immunization and some helpful THINGS TO KNOW about immunization requirements.
Resources for Faculty and Staff
YOU’RE COVERED BY SHIP!
As a student, you are automatically enrolled in UCR’s Student Health Insurance Program (SHIP) and exempt from purchasing a plan on the Covered CA website or your home state exchange. SHIP meets the requirements of the Affordable Care Act (ACA), gives you nationwide coverage, and offers the big advantage of convenient, on-campus care. Find out more about SHIP.
Why SHIP is a Good Plan
- SHIP provides nationwide coverage. Exchange plans or private insurance plans may not provide national coverage.
- SHIP offers the most convenience. Students can see a doctor and nurse on campus with no out-of-pocket expense. X-rays, lab work and even prescriptions are available. With other health insurance plans, students pay out-of-pocket or will have to go off campus for covered care.
- SHIP provides vision and dental coverage at no extra cost. With many other health plans, vision and dental coverage is EXTRA.
- SHIP meets all the requirements of the Affordable Care Act.
- A student can be covered by SHIP even if the family is participating in Covered CA or a home state exchange plan.
You Can Rejoin SHIP
If you waived out of SHIP, but now realize it is the best plan for your needs, you can rejoin! Simply call the Student Health Services (SHS) Insurance office at (951) 827-5683 to sign up again.
Before You Submit a Waiver
If you have insurance and wish to be exempt from the UC SHIP Plan, your insurance plan must meet the following criteria:
- Must provide primary care within 50 miles of campus (or your address while attending UCR)
- Cannot limit the amount it will pay for any injury or illness you have during your lifetime
- Cannot have a pharmacy deductible greater than $250 per year
- Cannot require you to pay out-of pocket more than $6,350 per year
- Cannot have a clause that excludes a pre-existing condition
- No reimbursement plans accepted
- Must have claims office in the United States
How to Submit a Waiver
If your plan meets the criteria and you would like to waive SHIP, submit an online waiver form by the appropriate deadline. You only need to submit one per year. There is a $50 fee for late forms. Forms will not be accepted after the first day of instruction.
University of California Riverside – Domestic Student Login Link: http://www2.academichealthplans.com//school/7008.html
University of California Riverside – International Student Login Link: http://www2.academichealthplans.com//school/7009.html
- Fall Quarter (June 1–Sept. 12)
- Winter Quarter (Nov. 1–Dec. 16)
- Spring Quarter (Feb. 1–March 13).
UC Riverside now offers students that have opted out of the Student Health Insurance Plan an alternative for receiving BASIC MEDICAL CARE at Student Health Services: Highlander Care. Learn more here.
When you're in need of after hours care you may be tempted to rush off to the emergency room (ER). But there are important differences between an urgent care center and the ER. Learn more about the difference between Emergency Care and Urgent Care.