Student Health Services
UC SHIP FAQs FOR CAMPUS CLOSURE DURING COVID-19 PANDEMIC
How do I access services at my Student Health or Counseling center if I remain on campus or in the area?
Please check the Student Health Services or Counseling and Psychological Services center websites for your campus, and then call or email your campus student health or counseling center to see what services are available on-site or remotely during this time.
How do I use UC SHIP insurance to see community providers, urgent care, emergency rooms, or facilities near my campus or near my permanent residence?
Check out this how to use UC SHIP video.
As a member of UC SHIP you have access to Anthem’s worldwide network of providers, urgent care facilities, and hospitals. Unless it is an emergency (in which case you should go to your nearest emergency room) you should contact your campus student health center by phone or email to obtain a referral and guidance on how to find an Anthem network provider in the area where you are residing. You can also locate a network provider in any state on the Anthem website https://www.anthem.com/ca/find-doctor/, by following the navigational steps below:
- Choose to search as a guest or by entering you Anthem member ID
- Under What type of care are you searching for? select Medical
- Under What state do you want to search in, select California
- Under What type of plan do you want to search with? select Medical (Student Health)
- Under Select a plan/network, select “UCSHIP PPO” and click Continue
- On the following page, please select the details of provider specialty or provider type such as an urgent care, hospital or other types of providers) and location for which you would like to search.
How do I get a copy of my medical ID card?
Download the StudentHealth app flier for instructions on how to get your medical ID card. You will need to show your Anthem Blue Cross (Anthem) ID card when you get care or prescriptions outside of the SHC. Go to the App Store or to Google play to download the StudentHealth app.
Can I use my UC SHIP at other UCs?
The student health center (SHC) at each University of California campus gladly offers reciprocal access to currently registered students from all other UC campuses under the same conditions that apply to its own students. If you visit an SHC at another campus, you may need to pay out of pocket and be reimbursed for any services you receive. Please check the Student Health Services(SHS) or Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) website of the UC campus you plan to visit for more information about fees and filing claims to UC SHIP. You should call or email the SHS or CAPS center first to see what services are available on-sit or remotely during this time.
How do I access telemedicine or tele-behavioral health services that are covered by UC SHIP?
A) Tele-medicine and tele-behavioral health services may be available at your home campus SHS or CAPS centers. Please check the Student Health Services or Counseling and Psychological Services center websites for your campus, and then call or email your campus student health or counseling center to see what tele-services are available during this time.
B) You may also access Anthem’s tele-medicine and tele-behavioral services know as LiveHealth Online (LHO). LHO allows you to video chat with board certified doctors, counselors and psychiatrists for conditions such as:
- Rashes, minor cuts and scrapes
- Stress, anxiety and other mental health concerns
- Coughs, colds, and other symptoms associated with mild respiratory infections
- And much more
The cost for UC SHIP enrolled students are typically the same or less than an office visit copayment. Visit our LiveHealth Online page to access and to learn other information.
How do I get prescription refills at my SHS pharmacy?
Your student health center pharmacy can provide up to a 60 or 90-day supply of medications as long as your prescription is not expired and your UC SHIP coverage is active. Please check your SHS website and then call, email or message (via patient portal) your SHS campus pharmacy to inquire about how to refill your medications.
How do I get prescription refills at another UC campus SHS pharmacy if it is closer to my home?
Please check the SHS website of the campus that is near your home and then call or email that SHS campus pharmacy to inquire are able to refill your medications for you. You should be ready to provide the name of your home campus, your SHIP ID number, and information on the prescriptions you need to have refilled. Co-pay amounts may vary from those you typically pay at your home campus SHS pharmacy.
How do I/Can I get my prescriptions filled at retail pharmacies near my home?
OptumRx administers the pharmacy benefit for UC SHIP and has a nationwide network of retail pharmacies like CVS or Walgreens. Contact your local pharmacy with your prescription and your Anthem medical ID card to see if they are able to refill your medications for you. Retail pharmacies are able to refill prescriptions with a 30-day supply of medications. Co-pays may vary from those you typically pay at your campus SHS pharmacy.
YOU’RE COVERED BY SHIP!
As a student, you are automatically enrolled in UCR’s Student Health Insurance Program (SHIP) and exempt from purchasing a plan on the Covered CA website or your home state exchange. SHIP meets the requirements of the Affordable Care Act (ACA), gives you nationwide coverage, and offers the big advantage of convenient, on-campus care. Find out more about SHIP.
Why SHIP is a Good Plan
- SHIP provides nationwide coverage. Exchange plans or private insurance plans may not provide national coverage.
- SHIP offers the most convenience. Students can see a doctor and nurse on campus with no out-of-pocket expense. X-rays, lab work and even prescriptions are available. With other health insurance plans, students pay out-of-pocket or will have to go off campus for covered care.
- SHIP provides vision and dental coverage at no extra cost. With many other health plans, vision and dental coverage is EXTRA.
- SHIP meets all the requirements of the Affordable Care Act.
- A student can be covered by SHIP even if the family is participating in Covered CA or a home state exchange plan.
You Can Rejoin SHIP
If you waived out of SHIP, but now realize it is the best plan for your needs, you can rejoin! Simply call the Student Health Services (SHS) Insurance office at (951) 827-5683 to sign up again.
Before You Submit a Waiver
If you have insurance and wish to be exempt from the UC SHIP Plan, your insurance plan must meet the following criteria:
- Must provide primary care within 50 miles of campus (or your address while attending UCR)
- Cannot limit the amount it will pay for any injury or illness you have during your lifetime
- Cannot have a pharmacy deductible greater than $250 per year
- Cannot require you to pay out-of pocket more than $6,350 per year
- Cannot have a clause that excludes a pre-existing condition
- No reimbursement plans accepted
- Must have claims office in the United States
How to Submit a Waiver
If your plan meets the criteria and you would like to waive SHIP, submit an online waiver form by the appropriate deadline. You only need to submit one per year. There is a $50 fee for late forms. Forms will not be accepted after the first day of instruction.
University of California Riverside – Domestic Student Login Link: http://www2.academichealthplans.com//school/7008.html
University of California Riverside – International Student Login Link: http://www2.academichealthplans.com//school/7009.html
- Fall Quarter (June 1–Sept. 12)
- Winter Quarter (Nov. 1–Dec. 16)
- Spring Quarter (Feb. 1–March 13).
UC Riverside now offers students that have opted out of the Student Health Insurance Plan an alternative for receiving BASIC MEDICAL CARE at Student Health Services: Highlander Care. Learn more here.