All registered students are automatically enrolled in the UCSHIP insurance plan. To prevent dual coverage and related expenses, please keep in mind that waiving UCSHIP is an annual requirement. If you have existing coverage through a private health plan and want to avoid overlapping coverage with UCSHIP, you can opt out by submitting an online application each academic year.
Waiver Deadlines for Each Academic Year:
- Fall Quarter: June 1st to September 12th
- Winter Quarter: November 1st to December 12th
- Spring Quarter: February 1st to March 12th
UC SHIP and the Waiver Option
Medicaid (Medi-Cal in California) Recipients: Action Required
The recent conclusion of the COVID-19 federal public health emergency (PHE) may impact students with Medicaid (Medi-Cal in California) coverage. Please take note of the following:
1. Reapplication: You may need to reapply for Medi-Cal coverage, as annual eligibility reviews have resumed post-PHE. Failure to do so could lead to loss of coverage.
2. Mandatory Coverage: All registered UC students must have medical insurance. If you lose Medi-Cal coverage, contact your student health center promptly.
3. Communication: Medi-Cal will contact you by mail for eligibility verification. Ensure your contact information is up to date to avoid missed communications.
Take action to maintain your coverage and stay informed:
- Make sure Medi-Cal has your current contact information. Visit medicaid.gov/renewals, then use the links for your state to provide updates and learn the status of your eligibility.
- If you received a renewal form from Medi-Cal, complete and return it by the deadline to avoid gaps in your coverage.
- If you’re no longer eligible for Medi-Cal due to your age or financial status, you have options:
- To be enrolled in the UC Student Health Insurance Plan (UC SHIP) when your Medi-Cal coverage ends, notify your student health center. Otherwise, you will not have medical coverage until the following term. To see what you’ll pay for coverage, visit the Paying for Coverage page.
- You may be able to get low-cost coverage through the Health Insurance Marketplace®. You have a limited time to apply and enroll. Visit the website or call (800) 318-2596.
Why SHIP Is a Good Plan
Why You Should Choose UCSHIP:
1. Nationwide Coverage: UCSHIP has you covered no matter where you are in the country. Unlike some other plans, which might limit your coverage to specific regions, UCSHIP provides nationwide protection.
2. Ultimate Convenience: We prioritize your convenience. With UCSHIP, you can easily see a doctor or nurse right on campus without spending a dime out of your pocket. You can also get lab work done and pick up prescriptions on-site. Other insurance plans may require you to pay upfront or travel off-campus for covered services.
3. Included Vision and Dental: Here's a bonus – UCSHIP includes vision and dental coverage at no extra cost. Many other health plans charge additional fees for these services.
4. Affordable Care Act Compliance: Rest easy knowing that UCSHIP complies with all the requirements of the Affordable Care Act, ensuring comprehensive coverage that meets the highest standards.
5. Independent Coverage: Even if your family is enrolled in Covered CA or a home state exchange plan, you can still enjoy the benefits of UCSHIP. We're here to provide you with top-notch healthcare options, no matter your family's insurance choices.
You Can Rejoin SHIP
If you waived out of SHIP but now realize it is the best plan for your needs, you can rejoin! Simply call the Student Health Services (SHS) Insurance office at (951) 827-3031 option #4 to sign up again.
Before You Submit a Waiver
If you have insurance and wish to be exempt from the UCSHIP Plan, your insurance plan must meet a range of criteria, including the following:
- Must provide primary care within 50 miles of campus.
- Cannot limit the amount it will pay for any injury or illness you have during your lifetime.
- Cannot have a pharmacy deductible greater than $250 per year.
- Cannot require you to pay out-of-pocket more than $6,600 per year.
- Cannot have a clause that excludes a preexisting condition.
- International Plans
- No reimbursement plans accepted.
- Must have claims office in the United States.
SHS outlines the complete waiver criteria in this document.
How to Submit a Waiver
If your plan meets the criteria and you would like to waive SHIP, submit an online waiver form by the appropriate deadline. You only need to submit one per academic year. There is a $50 fee for late forms. Forms will NOT be accepted after the first day of instruction. Please note ALL approved waiver submissions will be audited. Therefore, you will be required to upload a copy of your medical ID card (front and back) and insurance policy (international students) in order to submit your waiver.
University of California, Riverside – Student Login Link: The student waiver application is available on the AHP website.
Waiver Dates Plan Year 2023-2024
- Fall Quarter (June 1–Sept. 12)
- Winter Quarter (Nov. 1 – Dec. 12)
- Spring Quarter (Feb. 1 – March 12)
Waiving UCSHIP? Consider Highlander Care!
SHS wants all UCR students to feel comfortable accessing all their medical needs through our facility, which is why we developed Highlander Care. While many students waive UCSHIP, these students are likely to still use SHS because of our center's convenience and central location. All registered students can use SHS. Highlander Care is a program that gives students who have waived UCSHIP prepaid access to certain services at SHS by purchasing Highlander Care during the waiver process, you eliminate the $12 visit fee, and more. Visit the Highlander Care webpage to learn more about this program and how to enroll.
Important Things to Note:
You are responsible for paying your full tuition and fees promptly until the waiver is approved and processed on your student account. Failure to do so may result in penalties for outstanding balances.
The UCSHIP waiver process involves a thorough 100% audit, where you must upload your insurance information, such as your insurance ID card or policy booklet, for evaluation.
After submitting your application, you will receive a preliminary approval or denial. If your application is denied, you can log in again to make necessary adjustments.
Once your application receives preliminary approval, AHP will perform a comprehensive audit of your insurance information to ensure its accuracy. After the audit, your waiver status will change from preliminary approved to final approved, and UCR SHS will work with AHP to remove the premium fee from your account.
Please refer to the academic calendar for adjusted waiver deadline dates, considering pending statuses on student accounts prior to the fee payment deadline.