UC Student Health Insurance Plan (UC SHIP)
UCSHIP is a UC Systemwide Health Insurance Plan providing health insurance benefits to all enrolled students. All registered students are automatically enrolled in UCSHIP.
Watch these videos to find out how the plan works and why UCSHIP is the best plan for you:
Any registered student can get health care at Student Health Services. With UCSHIP you are covered when accessing care on campus at SHS. Without UCSHIP there will be an out-of-pocket expense.
UCSHIP covers the costs at SHS for:
- Nursing care
- Appointments with a doctor or nurse practitioner
- Urgent, same-day, or walk-in visits
- Laboratory tests
- Medical supplies and equipment
- Medications (with student co-pay)
Student Health Insurance Office
The Student Health Insurance Office is located in the Student Health Services Building by Lot 15.
Academic Health Plans (AHP) is the plan administrator for UCSHIP that processes all enrollments and waivers.
- To enroll a dependent due to a qualifying event (marriage/divorce, loss of prior coverage, newborns, etc.) please click here Your online application must be submitted within 31 days of your qualifying event date.
Please refer to the following forms and documents for additional UCSHIP coverage details.
UC SHIP and the Waiver Option
Why SHIP Is a Good Plan
- SHIP provides nationwide coverage. Exchange plans or private insurance plans may not provide national coverage.
- SHIP offers the most convenience. Students can see a doctor and nurse on campus with no out-of-pocket expense. Lab work, and even prescriptions are available. With other health insurance plans, students pay out-of-pocket or will have to go off campus for covered care.
- SHIP provides vision and dental coverage at no extra cost. With many other health plans, vision and dental coverage is EXTRA.
- SHIP meets all the requirements of the Affordable Care Act.
- A student can be covered by SHIP even if their family is participating in Covered CA or a home state exchange plan.
You Can Rejoin SHIP
If you waived out of SHIP but now realize it is the best plan for your needs, you can rejoin! Simply call the Student Health Services (SHS) Insurance office at (951) 827-3031 option #4 to sign up again.
Before You Submit a Waiver
If you have insurance and wish to be exempt from the UCSHIP Plan, your insurance plan must meet a range of criteria, including the following:
- Must provide primary care within 50 miles of campus.
- Cannot limit the amount it will pay for any injury or illness you have during your lifetime.
- Cannot have a pharmacy deductible greater than $250 per year.
- Cannot require you to pay out-of-pocket more than $6,600 per year.
- Cannot have a clause that excludes a preexisting condition.
- International Plans
- No reimbursement plans accepted.
- Must have claims office in the United States.
SHS outlines the complete waiver criteria in this document.
How to Submit a Waiver
If your plan meets the criteria and you would like to waive SHIP, submit an online waiver form by the appropriate deadline. You only need to submit one per academic year. There is a $50 fee for late forms. Forms will NOT be accepted after the first day of instruction. Please note ALL approved waiver submissions will be audited. Therefore, you will be required to upload a copy of your medical ID card (front and back) and insurance policy (international students) in order to submit your waiver.
University of California, Riverside – Student Login Link: The student waiver application is available on the AHP website.
Waiver Dates Plan Year 2022–2023
- Fall Quarter (June 1–Sept. 12)
- Winter Quarter (Nov. 1 – Dec. 12)
- Spring Quarter (Feb. 1 – March 12)
Waiving UCSHIP? Consider Highlander Care!
SHS wants all UCR students to feel comfortable accessing all their medical needs through our facility, which is why we developed Highlander Care. While many students waive UCSHIP, these students are likely to still use SHS because of our center's convenience and central location. All registered students can use SHS. Highlander Care is a program that gives students who have waived UCSHIP prepaid access to certain services at SHS by purchasing Highlander Care during the waiver process, you eliminate the $12 visit fee, and more. Visit the Highlander Care webpage to learn more about this program and how to enroll.
UC SHIP Frequently Asked Questions
What is UCSHIP?
UCSHIP is the abbreviated name for the University of California Student Health Insurance Plan.
What is GSHIP?
GSHIP, the Graduate Student Health Insurance Plan, is the medical health insurance plan offered by UCR to all registered graduate students. All UCR graduate students are automatically enrolled in GSHIP when they pay their UCR registration fees each term. Students who are enrolled in a private medical insurance plan that meets the waiver criteria, may waive out of GSHIP.
What is USHIP?
USHIP, the Undergraduate Student Health Insurance Plan, is the medical health insurance plan offered by UCR to all registered undergraduate students. All UCR undergraduate students are automatically enrolled in USHIP when they pay their UCR registration fees each term. Students who are enrolled in a private medical insurance plan that meets the waiver criteria, may waive out of USHIP.
How can I enroll in UC SHIP?
GSHIP: Enrollment in GSHIP is exclusive to UCR graduate students who pay full registration fees. There is no enrollment process. Graduate students are automatically enrolled in GSHIP when they pay registration fees each term.
USHIP: Enrollment in USHIP is exclusive to UCR undergraduate students who pay full registration fees. Undergraduate students are automatically enrolled in USHIP when they pay registration fees each term.
All registered students are automatically enrolled in the UC Student Health Insurance Plan (UCSHIP) however there are a few other classes of individuals who may enroll in the plan on a voluntary basis. Those groups are:
- Recently graduated students who were covered by UCSHIP during the prior quarter
- Graduate students who are on a Filing Fee status
- Undergraduate students who are on a Planned Educational Leave Program (PELP) status
- Dependents of students who are enrolled in the UCSHIP
- Graduate students who are on an approved leave of absence (LOA)
Continuing, Filing Fee, or Leave of Absence students and dependents can complete this form to enroll in UCSHIP.
Registered students who are campus-billed and would like to add dependents to their UCSHIP plan can complete this form.
Will my needs-based financial aid pay for my SHIP coverage?
For 2022–2023, the annual cost of the mandatory Undergraduate Student Health Insurance Plan (USHIP) or comparable off campus insurance, will be factored into grants, loans, and work-study programs offered to students who receive financial assistance.
When does SHIP coverage begin and end?
The Effective Date of Coverage for mandatory UCSHIP (GSHIP and USHIP) is the first day of the term if the registration fees (including the UCSHIP fee) have been paid before the last day of the term. Mandatory UCSHIP (GSHIP and USHIP) terminates when your UC SHIP expiration date passes, and fees have not been paid by the last day of the term.
The coverage dates for academic year 2022-23:
- Fall: Sept. 19, 2022 through Jan. 3, 2023
- Winter: Jan. 4, 2022 through March 28, 2023
- Spring: March 29, 2023 through Sept. 18, 2023
Who are the carriers this academic year?
- Medical: Anthem Blue Cross
- Dental: Delta Dental
- Vision: Anthem Blue View Vision
- Pharmacy: Optum RX
How can I get a copy of my medical insurance ID card?
You can get a copy of your ID card through the UCSHIP StudentHealth app.
How can I get a copy of my dental insurance ID card?
Visit the Delta Dental website to access to your dental insurance ID information.
Is UCSHIP free for TAs (teaching assistants) and RAs (research assistants)?
If your TA or RA appointment hours are 25% or more, your UCSHIP fee is covered by your department. However, if you waive out of UCSHIP (even if you do so prior to your TA appointment for the term), the department will not pay for UCSHIP until the next term.
How much do the UCSHIP plans cost?
Graduate Mandatory $1,234.63 $71.67 $14.97 $3,963.81 $1,321.27 Graduate - Spouse / DP $1,129.67 $67.67 $33.09 $3,691.29 $1,230.43 Graduate - Child(ren) $1,129.67 $75.00 $27.09 $3,695.28 $1,231.76 Graduate - Spouse/DP=Child(ren) $2,257.67 $147.00 $44.76 $7,348.29 $2,449.43 USHIP 21-22
Undergraduate Mandatory $524.11 $50.67 $14.48 $1,767.78 $589.26 Undergraduate - Spouse / DP $425.67 $41.67 $31.55 $1,496.67 $498.89 Undergraduate - Child(ren) $425.67 $46.33 $26.76 $1,496.28 $498.76 Undergraduate - Spouse/DP=Child(ren) $851.00 $90.67 $42.83 $2,953.50 $984.50