UC Student Health Insurance Plan (UC SHIP)
UCSHIP is a UC Systemwide Health Insurance Plan providing health insurance benefits to all enrolled students. All registered students are automatically enrolled in UCSHIP.
Any registered student can get health care at Student Health Services. With UCSHIP you are covered when accessing care on campus at SHS. Without UCSHIP there will be an out-of-pocket expense.
UCSHIP covers the costs at SHS for:
- Nursing care
- Appointments with a doctor or nurse practitioner
- Urgent, same-day, or walk-in visits
- Laboratory tests
- Medical supplies and equipment
- Medications (with student co-pay)
Your UC Student Health Insurance Plan: UC SHIP
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
UC SHIP: Tailored Healthcare Coverage for UC Students
UC SHIP is a specially designed and cost-effective healthcare coverage plan for UC students. It includes a wide range of services such as medical, pharmacy, dental, vision, mental health, and substance use disorder support for both undergraduate and graduate students, as well as their eligible dependents.
We believe in student involvement and actively engage students in shaping UC SHIP's future through the Executive Oversight Board. Students play a vital role in evaluating new benefit requests and devising strategies to maintain the plan's affordability.
As medical insurance is mandatory for all UC students, you will be automatically enrolled in UC SHIP upon registration. However, there are specific waiver criteria that, if met, allow you to opt-out of the coverage.
How to Use the Plan
Under the UC SHIP plan guidelines, the first place you should seek non-emergency care is the campus Student Health Services (SHS). Many services, including preventive care, are offered there at no cost or for a low copay. If you need care SHS can’t provide, you’ll receive a referral for care outside SHS.
Depending on the services you receive outside SHS, you may need to pay an annual deductible before UC SHIP begins to share costs with you. Once you meet that deductible, you’ll pay coinsurance for services, and UC SHIP will cover the remainder of the cost, up to the maximum allowable amount for that service.
You’re protected financially with an annual limit on your out-of-pocket costs. Once you reach this limit, the plan picks up 100% of the costs for that year.
Where to Learn More
Student Health Insurance Office
The Student Health Insurance Office is in the Student Health Services building located in parking lot #21.
Plan Administrator: Academic Health Plans (AHP) is the plan administrator for UCSHIP that processes all enrollments and waivers.
- To enroll a dependent due to a qualifying event (marriage/divorce, loss of prior coverage, newborns, etc.) please click here Your online application must be submitted within 31 days of your qualifying event date.
Get Plan Info at Your Fingertips
The Sydney Health app has replaced the Student Health app for easy access to everything you need to know about your medical, pharmacy, dental and vision coverage. Use it to access your ID card; find Student Health Center location, hours and services; view medical, pharmacy, dental and vision coverage and claims information; and get notifications for benefit changes and action items.
- Early Start SHIP Premium Cost for Dependents of Registered Students
- Early Start SHIP Premium Cost for Dependents of Registered Students - Athlete
- SHIP Premium Cost for Dependents of Registered Students
- SHIP Voluntary Premium Cost
School of Medicine
UC SHIP and the Waiver Option
Medicaid (Medi-Cal in California) Recipients: Action Required
The recent conclusion of the COVID-19 federal public health emergency (PHE) may impact students with Medicaid (Medi-Cal in California) coverage. Please take note of the following:
1. Reapplication: You may need to reapply for Medi-Cal coverage, as annual eligibility reviews have resumed post-PHE. Failure to do so could lead to loss of coverage.
2. Mandatory Coverage: All registered UC students must have medical insurance. If you lose Medi-Cal coverage, contact your student health center promptly.
3. Communication: Medi-Cal will contact you by mail for eligibility verification. Ensure your contact information is up to date to avoid missed communications.
Take action to maintain your coverage and stay informed:
- Make sure Medi-Cal has your current contact information. Visit medicaid.gov/renewals, then use the links for your state to provide updates and learn the status of your eligibility.
- If you received a renewal form from Medi-Cal, complete and return it by the deadline to avoid gaps in your coverage.
- If you’re no longer eligible for Medi-Cal due to your age or financial status, you have options:
- To be enrolled in the UC Student Health Insurance Plan (UC SHIP) when your Medi-Cal coverage ends, notify your student health center. Otherwise, you will not have medical coverage until the following term. To see what you’ll pay for coverage, visit the Paying for Coverage page.
- You may be able to get low-cost coverage through the Health Insurance Marketplace®. You have a limited time to apply and enroll. Visit the website or call (800) 318-2596.
Why SHIP Is a Good Plan
Why You Should Choose UCSHIP:
1. Nationwide Coverage: UCSHIP has you covered no matter where you are in the country. Unlike some other plans, which might limit your coverage to specific regions, UCSHIP provides nationwide protection.
2. Ultimate Convenience: We prioritize your convenience. With UCSHIP, you can easily see a doctor or nurse right on campus without spending a dime out of your pocket. You can also get lab work done and pick up prescriptions on-site. Other insurance plans may require you to pay upfront or travel off-campus for covered services.
3. Included Vision and Dental: Here's a bonus – UCSHIP includes vision and dental coverage at no extra cost. Many other health plans charge additional fees for these services.
4. Affordable Care Act Compliance: Rest easy knowing that UCSHIP complies with all the requirements of the Affordable Care Act, ensuring comprehensive coverage that meets the highest standards.
5. Independent Coverage: Even if your family is enrolled in Covered CA or a home state exchange plan, you can still enjoy the benefits of UCSHIP. We're here to provide you with top-notch healthcare options, no matter your family's insurance choices.
You Can Rejoin SHIP
If you waived out of SHIP but now realize it is the best plan for your needs, you can rejoin! Simply call the Student Health Services (SHS) Insurance office at (951) 827-3031 option #4 to sign up again.
Before You Submit a Waiver
If you have insurance and wish to be exempt from the UCSHIP Plan, your insurance plan must meet a range of criteria, including the following:
- Must provide primary care within 50 miles of campus.
- Cannot limit the amount it will pay for any injury or illness you have during your lifetime.
- Cannot have a pharmacy deductible greater than $250 per year.
- Cannot require you to pay out-of-pocket more than $6,600 per year.
- Cannot have a clause that excludes a preexisting condition.
- International Plans
- No reimbursement plans accepted.
- Must have claims office in the United States.
SHS outlines the complete waiver criteria in this document.
How to Submit a Waiver
If your plan meets the criteria and you would like to waive SHIP, submit an online waiver form by the appropriate deadline. You only need to submit one per academic year. There is a $50 fee for late forms. Forms will NOT be accepted after the first day of instruction. Please note ALL approved waiver submissions will be audited. Therefore, you will be required to upload a copy of your medical ID card (front and back) and insurance policy (international students) in order to submit your waiver.
University of California, Riverside – Student Login Link: The student waiver application is available on the AHP website.
Waiver Dates Plan Year 2023-2024
- Fall Quarter (June 1–Sept. 12)
- Winter Quarter (Nov. 1 – Dec. 12)
- Spring Quarter (Feb. 1 – March 12)
Waiving UCSHIP? Consider Highlander Care!
SHS wants all UCR students to feel comfortable accessing all their medical needs through our facility, which is why we developed Highlander Care. While many students waive UCSHIP, these students are likely to still use SHS because of our center's convenience and central location. All registered students can use SHS. Highlander Care is a program that gives students who have waived UCSHIP prepaid access to certain services at SHS by purchasing Highlander Care during the waiver process, you eliminate the $12 visit fee, and more. Visit the Highlander Care webpage to learn more about this program and how to enroll.
UC SHIP Frequently Asked Questions
What is UCSHIP?
UCSHIP is the abbreviated name for the University of California Student Health Insurance Plan.
What is GSHIP?
GSHIP, the Graduate Student Health Insurance Plan, is the medical health insurance plan offered by UCR to all registered graduate students. All UCR graduate students are automatically enrolled in GSHIP when they pay their UCR registration fees each term. Students who are enrolled in a private medical insurance plan that meets the waiver criteria, may waive out of GSHIP.
What is USHIP?
USHIP, the Undergraduate Student Health Insurance Plan, is the medical health insurance plan offered by UCR to all registered undergraduate students. All UCR undergraduate students are automatically enrolled in USHIP when they pay their UCR registration fees each term. Students who are enrolled in a private medical insurance plan that meets the waiver criteria, may waive out of USHIP.
How can I enroll in UC SHIP?
GSHIP: Enrollment in GSHIP is exclusive to UCR graduate students who pay full registration fees. There is no enrollment process. Graduate students are automatically enrolled in GSHIP when they pay registration fees each term.
USHIP: Enrollment in USHIP is exclusive to UCR undergraduate students who pay full registration fees. Undergraduate students are automatically enrolled in USHIP when they pay registration fees each term.
All registered students are automatically enrolled in the UC Student Health Insurance Plan (UCSHIP) however there are a few other classes of individuals who may enroll in the plan on a voluntary basis. Those groups are:
- Recently graduated students who were covered by UCSHIP during the prior quarter
- Graduate students who are on a Filing Fee status
- Undergraduate students who are on a Planned Educational Leave Program (PELP) status
- Dependents of students who are enrolled in the UCSHIP
- Graduate students who are on an approved leave of absence (LOA)
Continuing, Filing Fee, or Leave of Absence students and dependents can complete this form to enroll in UCSHIP.
Registered students who are campus-billed and would like to add dependents to their UCSHIP plan can complete this form.
Will my needs-based financial aid pay for my SHIP coverage?
For 2023–2024, the annual cost of the mandatory Undergraduate Student Health Insurance Plan (USHIP) or comparable off campus insurance, will be factored into grants, loans, and work-study programs offered to students who receive financial assistance.
When does SHIP coverage begin and end?
The Effective Date of Coverage for mandatory UCSHIP (GSHIP and USHIP) is the first day of the term if the registration fees (including the UCSHIP fee) have been paid before the last day of the term. Mandatory UCSHIP (GSHIP and USHIP) terminates when your UC SHIP expiration date passes, and fees have not been paid by the last day of the term.
The coverage dates for academic year 2023-24:
- Fall: Sept. 25, 2023 through Jan. 2, 2024
- Winter: Jan. 3, 2024 through March 26, 2024
- Spring: March 27, 2024 through Sept. 22, 2024
Who are the carriers this academic year?
- Medical: Anthem Blue Cross
- Dental: Delta Dental
- Vision: Anthem Blue View Vision
- Pharmacy: Optum RX
How can I get a copy of my medical insurance ID card?
You can get a copy of your ID card through the Sydney Health app.
How can I get a copy of my dental insurance ID card?
Visit the Delta Dental website to access to your dental insurance ID information.
Is UCSHIP free for TAs (teaching assistants) and RAs (research assistants)?
If your TA or RA appointment hours are 25% or more, your UCSHIP fee is covered by your department. However, if you waive out of UCSHIP (even if you do so prior to your TA appointment for the term), the department will not pay for UCSHIP until the next term.
How much do the UCSHIP plans cost?
Total Campus Fees
Graduate - Voluntary LOA
Graduate Filing Fee
Graduate - Spouse / DP
Graduate - Child(ren) $3,856.00 $227.00 $67.22 $3,750.72 $1,250.24 Graduate - Spouse/DP=Child(ren) $7,706.00 $444.00 $110.97 $8,260.98 $2,753.66
Total Campus Fees
Undergraduate Voluntary LOA
$1,456.00 $153.00 $35.88 $414.00 $2,090.22 $696.74
Undergraduate - Spouse / DP
Undergraduate - Child(ren)
Undergraduate - Spouse/DP=Child(ren)