Health Insurance for Undergraduate Students
Mandatory Health Insurance
The University of California Board of Regents requires that all undergraduate students have major medical health insurance as a non-academic condition of enrollment. UCR offers the Undergraduate Student Health Insurance Plan (USHIP). This requirement can also be met by a comparable private insurance plan.
The annual cost of the mandatory USHIP coverage of $1,822.47 ($607.49 per quarter), or the cost of comparable off-campus insurance, will be factored into grants, loans, and work-study programs offered to students who receive financial assistance to students already covered by adequate health insurance can waive the requirement by submitting the waiver form to Academic Health Plans, our health plan administrator.
Note: Access to UCSHIP benefits off-campus requires a SHS referral except in cases of urgent care, emergency care, care by a pediatrician or obstetrician for maternity care, or care outside of a 50-mile radius from campus.
Benefits at a Glance
Note: Please refer to the benefits book for a full description of benefits.
- No lifetime maximum (off-campus benefits payable at 90%)
- $200 annual deductible (off-campus providers)
- No preexisting condition clause
- Hospital coverage and outpatient surgery
- Office visits coverage (no co-pay on-campus and $17 co-pay for off-campus PPO specialty providers)
- No prescription benefit maximum (30-day supply per prescription); $5 co-pay on-campus and off-campus for generic prescriptions
- Surgery coverage, including anesthetist and assistant surgeon (PPO provider 90%)
- $100 copay for emergency room coverage
- Ambulance coverage ground (10%) and air transport (covered 100%)
- Laboratory coverage (no co-pay on-campus, i.e., PPO provider covered at 90%)
- Radiology coverage (no co-pay on-campus, i.e., PPO provider covered at 90%)
- Physical therapy co-pay of $15.
- Nervous and mental conditions office visits $17 co-pay
- Repatriation benefit of $25,000 in accordance with federal J-1 visa requirements
- Medical evacuation benefit of $50,000 in accordance with federal J-1 visa requirements
- Benefits payable at 90% at Anthem Blue Cross network facilities; out-of-network payable at 60%
- Medical coverage is administered by Anthem Blue Cross
- Dental coverage is administered by Delta Dental
- Vision coverage is administered by Blue View Vision Insight
We want you to get the most out of your pharmacy plan. Learn how using OptumRX can help you manage your pharmacy plan and save money on your prescriptions.
NOTE: UCSHIP is secondary to all other programs. For answers to questions about enrollment, policy benefits, and claims, call (951) 827-3031. Use the SHS StudentHealth app to access your plan coverage and insurance cards.
Specific claims information can be obtained by calling SHS at (951) 827-3031.