Highlander Care is a plan available for basic medical urgent services to UC Riverside students who have opted out of the UC Student Health Insurance Plan (UCSHIP).
You can enroll or cancel Highlander Care at the beginning of any quarter, by sending an email to email@example.com. An email confirming your request will be sent to you.
For $88 per quarter, Highlander Care offers the following basic care. All other services at Student Health Services are offered at the standard student price.
- Two primary care office visits with physicians, nurse practitioners, and nurses per quarter
- Nurse triage visits
- In-House Labs: UA Dip with reflex, CBC and manual diff, CBC, Sed Rate (ESR), Rapid Strep lab test, Influenza A & B lab test, Urine HcG, Monospot, HIV, Vaginal Wet Prep, GC/CHL cultures only; fee for urine PCR (QUEST), Urinalysis, Urine Culture M-TH, Gram Stain, Fecal Occult Blood, Chem Panel (when required for urgent care of acutely ill patient)
- Procedures: EKG, Ear Lavage, Spirometry, Nebulizer with meds, Suturing, Flourescein Eye Exam, I&D, Splinting, X-Ray: All images covered; student pays $14 radiology consult fee
Highlander Care Does NOT Include:
- Preventative health visits/annuals (these are part of covered benefit for any ACA plan)
- Durable medical equipment
- Medications injected during the course of care at SHS (Rocephin, intralesional steroids, etc.)
- IUD or Depo-Provera insertion (covered by ACA plans)
- Visits with a specialist (ex., gynecology, psychiatry)
- Travel visits by nurses or providers
- Labs sent to Quest and the handling fee for labs sent to Quest
- X-ray interpretation