You must get a Student Health Services (SHS) referral for care outside the SHS if you are within a 50-mile radius from campus, except for the following: emergency room care and visits to urgent care clinics, pediatric care, obstetrics services, gynecological care and LiveHealth Online virtual visits.
- For a medical referral, you must first consult with your UCR SHS Primary Care Provider. You can contact your PCP by making an appointment with them at The SHS Health Center (when possible) or by sending them a secure message via the patient portal with your diagnosis and provider information.
- For a behavioral health referral, you must first consult with a CAPS case manager/brief counselor. If your providers deem it medically necessary to refer you elsewhere for care, they will provide you a referral.
Please note that any treatment pertaining to the diagnosis written on the referral will be covered under this referral. When making appointments outside of the UCR SHS or CAPS, note that you will have a patient responsibility depending on which tier structure you decide to facilitate your care. For a breakdown of these fees, please see the 2020-2021 Medical Plan Benefit Summary.
- Effective September 2021, UCSHS will no longer process any post service or retro referral requests. You must have an approved referral prior to receiving services.
Need a Medical Referral to a Specialist?
- Schedule an appointment with your UCR SHS Primary Care Provider (PCP).
- At your visit, if your provider deems it medically necessary, they will generate a referral for you.
- Your referral will become active and available to view/print on the Patient Portal within one business day.
- Please note that only those actively enrolled in UC SHIP are required to obtain a referral from their PCP before seeking treatment with a specialist outside of The UCR SHS Center. The UCR SHS Center is unable to coordinate referrals for students who have waived UC SHIP. Non-SHIP students should coordinate their care with their own private health insurance company to verify coverage and benefits.
Need a Copy of Your Referral?
Your referral can be viewed and/or printed from the Patient Portal by selecting the "REFERRALS" tab. Please wait until your referral status says "ACTIVE" before calling to schedule your specialist appointment. Specialty clinic contact information will be on the referral.