UC SHIP specialty referrals provided expire 364 days from the authorized date. To renew medical referrals you must schedule an appointment with Student Health Services (SHS) at 951 827-3031. To renew your mental health referral, please call Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) at 951 827-5531, press option 2 and you will speak to a CAPS clinician to renew the referral by phone. Please note, you must be a registered student enrolled in UC SHIP for the 2022-2023 academic benefit year to renew.
If you are covered by UC SHIP, you must first contact Student Health Services (SHS) if you are within a 50-mile radius of campus. Except for emergency room care, urgent care clinic visits, pediatric care, obstetrics services, gynecological care, Lyra Health, and LiveHealth Online virtual visits.
- For a medical referral, you must first consult with your UCR SHS Primary Care Provider (PCP). You can contact your PCP by making an appointment with them at Student Health Services (when possible) or by sending them a secure message via the patient portal with your diagnosis and provider information.
- For a mental health referrals, please call Counseling and Psychological Service (CAPS) at 951 827-5531, press option 2 to schedule an appointment to meet with a clinician to determine referral needs and options.
- Please note that any treatment pertaining to the diagnosis written on the referral will be covered under this referral. When making appointments outside of the UCR SHS or CAPS, note that you will have a patient responsibility depending on which tier structure you decide to facilitate your care. For a breakdown of these fees, please see the Medical Plan Benefit Summary.
UCR Student Health Service will no longer process any post service or retro referral requests. You must have an approved referral prior to receiving services.
Need a Medical Referral to a Specialist?
- Schedule an appointment with your UCR SHS Primary Care Provider (PCP).
- At your visit, if your provider deems it medically necessary, they will generate a referral for you.
- Your referral will become active and available to view/print on the Patient Portal once it is approved.
- Please note that only those actively enrolled in UC SHIP are required to obtain a referral from their PCP before seeking treatment with a specialist outside of The UCR SHS Center. The UCR SHS Center is unable to coordinate referrals for students who have waived UC SHIP. Non-SHIP students should coordinate their care with their own private health insurance company to verify coverage and benefits.
Need a Copy of Your Referral?
Your referral can be viewed and/or printed from the Patient Portal by selecting the "REFERRALS" tab. Please wait until your referral status says "ACTIVE" before calling to schedule your specialist appointment. Specialty clinic contact information will be on the referral.
You can contact the UCR SHS Referral Department at 951-827-3031 or log in to the Patient Portal and click on ‘New Message Referral Question.’