Immunization Requirements


Check here first for the most common FAQs about immunization and some helpful THINGS TO KNOW about immunization requirements.

Requirements for Incoming Students 

The University of California is committed to protecting the health and well-being of our students. As part of our ongoing commitment to campus-wide health and safety, UCR is implementing the following Immunization Plan.  

All incoming UC students are REQUIRED to obtain these vaccines and complete the Tuberculosis Screening Form. 

Access to complete online screening forms will be granted through the patient portal prior to assigned registration. 

Measles, Mumps and Rubella (MMR)

2 doses; first dose on or after 1st birthday. (Only a titer showing immunity will be accepted in place of 2 doses)

Varicella (chickenpox)

2 doses; first dose on or after 1st birthday. (Having the disease does not exempt you from this requirement.  Only a titer showing immunity will be accepted in place of 2 doses)

Tetanus, Diphtheria and Pertussis (Tdap)

1 dose after age 7 (Td does not fulfill this requirement and Tdap must be evidenced on your supporting documentation)

Meningococcal conjugate-- (Serogroups A, C, Y, & W-135)

1 dose on or after age 16 for all students age 21 years or younger

Screening for Tuberculosis

All incoming students are required to complete the TB screening form. Students who are at higher risk for TB infection should undergo either skin or blood testing (IGRA- QuantiFERON®-TB Gold In-Tube test (QFT-GIT);T-SPOT®.TB test (T-Spot)

Higher risk includes: travel to or living in South & Central America, Africa, Asia, Eastern Europe, and the Middle East; prior positive TB test; or exposure to someone with active TB disease.

Despite the fact that many people do receive the recommended vaccines, there are still documented outbreaks of vaccine‐preventable‐diseases (VPD) in California each year amongst those who were not completely immunized.

NOTE that revisions to the CDPH recommendations will be reflected in UC requirements for the subsequent academic term.


  • Human papillomavirus vaccine (for women and men through age 26 years)
  • Hepatitis B vaccine (all students regardless of age)
  • Meningococcal conjugate (students up to age 23)
  • Meningococcal B (ages 16-23 who elect vaccination after discussion with their healthcare provider)
  • Influenza vaccine (annual; all students regardless of age)
  • Hepatitis A vaccine (all students regardless of age)
  • Pneumococcal vaccine (for students with certain medical conditions e.g., severe asthma, diabetes, chronic liver or kidney disease)
  • Poliovirus vaccine (if series not completed as a child)
  • Vaccines for international travel, based on destination

Meeting the UC Immunization Requirement

Student are expected to have immunizations prior to reaching campus. 

You will need to have your Immunization (shot) record and/or blood titer laboratory results available to complete the online Student Immunization Record form. 

You may obtain your  Immunization (shot) record from your medical provider, parents or previous school or university.

If you believe you have met the immunization requirements but don’t have access to your records, ask your Primary Care provider to order blood tests (titers) for immunity.

However, if you do not have evidence of immunity, you will still need to get vaccinated, contact your medical provider to discuss obtaining the missing dose(s) of the vaccines.

You will need to show proof that you have been vaccinated for Tdap on or after age seven, and Meningococcal Conjugate on or after age 16 (if you are under 22 years old).

You may reach out to your local health department for information on low cost or free immunizations.


Submitting Student Immunization Record Form and TB Screening Form

ALL incoming students must complete the online Student Immunization Record form and the TB Screening form.

Both forms are found in the patient portal under the forms link. 

ONLY online submission is accepted. No paper forms will be acceptedNo emailed forms will be accepted.

You will need to have your Immunization (shot) record and/or blood titer laboratory results available to complete the online Student Immunization Record form

You may obtain your immunization (shot) records from your medical provider, parents, high school or previous university.

Copies of your immunization (shot) record or lab reports must be uploaded.

For additional information on submission here.
Tuberculosis (TB) Medical Clearance form
UC Immunization Policy 
UC Immunization Exemption Policy
Medical Exemption Request Form