Health Services

In addition to providing primary care and treating UCR students for injuries, UCR Student Health Services offers the following clinics and services:

The Student Health Services offers a full-service laboratory, which performs many tests in-house.  Any tests we are unable to perform are sent to an outside reference laboratory. The reference lab picks up from Student Health daily and turn-around time for results is excellent. The lab is state-licensed, CLIA certified, and COLA accredited, and is staffed by experienced, licensed clinical lab scientists.

Walk-in Laboratory hours are Mon-Fri 9am-3:30pm

Lab requests are honored from physicians here at Student Health, and from outside providers. Personal requests for some screening tests may be made through our treatment nurse.

Students covered by the UCR Student Health Insurance Plan (USHIP or GSHIP) do not pay lab fees if testing is requested as a result of illness or injury. Private paying students who do not have USHIP or GSHIP are responsible for any lab fees incurred.

Fasting Instructions: 
1. Patient should not eat or drink 12-16 hours prior to testing (this includes mints, sodas, and caffeine beverages like tea or coffee).
2. Patient is encouraged to drink water during the fasting period. 
3. It may be helpful to bring a small snack from home to eat immediately following the blood draw.

UCR Student Health offers nurse travel consultations for students traveling abroad. The nurses will review recommended vaccinations, safe food and drinking practices, and how to access healthcare where you will be traveling.

To start the travel medicine process go online to the patient portal at and complete the items listed below to make an appointment with the Travel Clinic Nurse. ALL education abroad students must see the UCR Student Health Services (SHS) regardless if they have the University Student Health Insurance Program (USHIP) or not. Please begin this online process as early as possible-especially if you are also followed by any medical specialists or mental health provider. SHS only accommodates a few travel appointments a day and are often busy.

Please make sure to have completed the following items listed below prior to scheduling an appointments for Travel visit:

  1. Complete the “Student Immunization Records” form found in the patient portal under “Forms” tab.
  2. Upload a copy of your Immunization records. Two methods to upload Immunization records in the patient portal:
    a. Click on “Add attachment…” during the time of completing the Travel Questionnaire.
    b. Click on “Immunization/TB Upload” tab to add any Immunization Record.
  3. Complete Online Travel course and upload the certification on the Travel Questionnaire section (follow Step 2 Part A instructions to upload certification). All students traveling are required to complete one out of the two courses available online:
    a. UCEAP Students ONLY: You must complete the Online travel Course(the course will take approximately 60 minutes to complete).
    b. FLEAP, OAP, and any Student Traveling ONLY: You must complete the UC Abroad Travel Course (the course will take approximately 30 minutes to complete).
  4. Complete the Travel Questionnaire by clicking on the “Messages” tab on the left pane, then “New Message” on the patient portal.

After completing all 4 requirements shown above, then please call 951-827-3031 to schedule an appointment to see a Travel Medicine Nurse for your travel visit.

Vaccine Information:

Vaccinations prices will vary based on the cost of purchasing the vaccine.  

All vaccines including travel vaccines are offered at our travel clinic.  It is important to get vaccinated at least 4-6 weeks before you plan to travel in order to give the vaccines time to start protecting you and to allow adequate time for you to complete vaccines that require more than one dose.   

Medications are also discussed to ensure safe and healthy travel.  Some travel destinations may require prescriptions.

A note to students from Counseling & Psychological Services (CAPS): Students often present at CAPS requesting clearance to study abroad. Generally speaking, students are encouraged to seek services as soon as mental health concerns arise. Students who need a clearance form signed to study abroad are encouraged to present their request to their CAPS clinician at the earliest possible moment. Please note CAPS clinicians can only sign off on clearance forms for students with whom they have established a professional relationship and who they know well enough, in a clinical sense. Please also note for this reason clearance forms for studying abroad cannot be signed off on during a same day/ walk-in visit.

Routine dental care is provided by appointment:

  • Dental exams and teeth cleaning
  • Restorative tooth maintenance with tooth colored and amalgam filings
  • Referrals for crowns and specialists

Is this your first appointment with the UCR Dental Clinic?

  1. If you have had dental X-rays recently, please bring them with you to your first visit with us. If your X-rays are outdated or not available, we can take new ones. We follow the American Dental Association guidelines on X-rays, taking a full set of X-rays at the initial visit, and bite wing checkup x-rays every six to eighteen months.
  2. Please take a minute to fill out the confidential patient medical history form, print it and bring it with you to your appointment.

To make an appointment: Call the Dental Clinic directly at (951) 827-3039. 
In case of emergency click here.

For the 2016-17 academic year, both undergraduate and graduate students participating in the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) will be eligible for coverage under the Blue View Vision Insight network. Blue View Vision provides excellent  benefits from a wide range of Blue View Vision providers. Information regarding the Blue View Vision plan is available online at

  • Includes prescription and over-the-counter medications
  • Prescriptions are filled on site.
  • Students, staff and faculty can purchase over-the-counter medications for a nominal fee
  • We also can special order prescriptions

You may refill your Student Health Services prescription at the Pharmacy of your choice. (However, if you have University Student Health Insurance, your co-pay may be different.) Check your Policy Brochure.

For refills of a prescription written at Student Health Services Click here for online submission or call (951) 827-3926. You may need to allow 24 hours for pick up.

Please be prepared to give:

  • Your Rx # (this is the prescription number on the upper left corner of the label)
  • Your student I.D. # and date of birth, and full name
  • Name of medication
  • Your telephone number

The Student Health Center at each University of California campus gladly offers reciprocal access to its SHC services to currently registered students from all other UC campuses under the same conditions that apply to its own students who are not enrolled in its campus Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP). Students enrolled in their home campus SHIP may receive special discounts, benefits or services at their home campus Student Health Center. These special, campus-funded arrangements will not apply at another UC campus.

For UC students from other campuses using the UC Riverside Student Health Services:

  • Eligibility: Bring your student ID and arrive 20 minutes early for your appointment to allow time for verification of your status as a currently registered student at your home UC campus.
  • Fees: Students from other UC campuses will be charged the same fees that are charged to UC, Riverside students who do not have one of the UCR Student Health Insurance Plans (USHIP or GSHIP). This will include a visit fee and fees for any lab work, x-rays or procedures. Payment is due at the time of service. Cash, check and credit cards are accepted. UCR Student Health Services does not bill insurance. A detailed invoice will be provided to you, so that you may file a claim for reimbursement with your insurance company.

For Riverside students using the student health services of another UC campus: 

  • The scope of student health services and fee structures vary from campus to campus. Check the website of the campus you are visiting for specifics.

  • If you have a UCR Student Health Insurance Plan, you may submit your bill to your SHIP plan for reimbursement. For help with this process, pleasecontact the Student Health Insurance Office at (951) 827-5683 or by email at
  • If you have private health insurance, consult your plan for reimbursement information.
  • For questions and further information, please contact the Student Health Insurance Office at (951) 827-5683 or by email at