Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP)
IMPORTANT NOTICE REGARDING GENDER IDENTITY AND UC SHIP:
Currently, all UC SHIP affiliated vendors (Academic Health Plans, Anthem, Delta Dental, OptumRx) do not have the capability to accept and store a non-binary gender designation within their information systems. These vendors can only accept a “male” or “female” gender designation at this time. If your UCR registration indicates a non-binary gender identity designation, then a default value of “F” may have been transmitted to the UC SHIP vendors and will appear within their respective information systems. The default value is arbitrary and based upon long-standing programming limitations, criteria and practice related to legacy information systems.
UC SHIP/UCOP, in conjunction with UCR and the UCR Student Health Center, is working diligently with the vendors to ensure that their systems are upgraded as soon as possible. We sincerely regret this situation and we want to take this opportunity to assure all students of our unwavering commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion.
All UCR students are automatically enrolled in the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP), one of the most comprehensive and affordable plans available. The cost is included in your student fees.
Keep Your Cost for Care at UC Riverside Student Health Service Low…UCSHIP!
Although any registered student can use the Student Health Service at UCR, the UC Student Health Insurance Plan (UC SHIP) covers more when you access care on campus.
UCSHIP covers the costs at Student Health for:
- Nursing care
- Appointments with a doctor, nurse practitioner or physician’s assistant
- Urgent, same day or walk-in visits ( $15 student fee for walk-in visits due at time of service. Not payable by insurance.)
- Laboratory tests and x-rays
- Medical supplies and equipment
- Medications (with student co-pay)
What you can expect to pay for care at SHS with and without UCSHIP
Information About Insurance Fraud
Below is important information about a fraud scheme targeting UC Student Health Insurance Plan (UC SHIP) members. For further information please contact the Student Health Insurance office at 951-827-5683.
- Letter to UC SHIP Students
- Letter to Affected Students
- ID Theft Protection Information
- Frequently Asked Questions
Student Health Insurance Office
The Student Health Insurance Office is located in the Student Health Services Building. Many of the services that we provide will be managed through email, fax and telephone. For consultation, please call 951-827-5683.
Academic Health Plans (AHP) is the new plan administrator for UC SHIP that processes all enrollments and waivers. Please contact AHP @ AHPservice.com for the following items:
- To enroll yourself and/or dependent(s) into UCSHIP
- To check the status of your enrollment(s)
- To check the status of your waiver submission
- If you encountered an error while waiving
New Annual Federal Reporting Requirement
Student health care plans are required to report to the IRS the name, address, and Social Security Number (SSN) of plan members, including covered students and dependents, to verify coverage during the calendar year. Learn more
Summary of Benefits
The Summary of Benefit Coverage provides a snapshot of benefit information such as out-of-pocket, copayments, and deductible amounts. In addition, the SBC provides information regarding what the Plan Covers as well as additional costs associated with the plan.
Get answers to common SHIP questions.
What is SHIP?
SHIP is the abbreviated name for the "Student Health Insurance Plans."
What is GSHIP?
GSHIP, the Graduate Student Health Insurance Plan, is the medical health insurance plan offered by UCR to all registered graduate students. All UCR graduate students are automatically enrolled in GSHIP when they pay their UCR registration fees each term. Students who are enrolled in a private medical insurance plan that meets the waiver criteria, may waive out of GSHIP.
What is USHIP?
USHIP, the Undergraduate Student Health Insurance Plan, is the medical health insurance plan offered by UCR to all registered undergraduate students. All UCR undergraduate students are automatically enrolled in USHIP when they pay their UCR registration fees each term. Students who are enrolled in a private medical insurance plan that meets the waiver criteria, may waive out of USHIP.
How can I enroll in the SHIP Plans?
GSHIP: Enrollment in GSHIP is exclusive to UCR graduate students who pay full registration fees. There is no enrollment process. Graduate students are automatically enrolled in GSHIP when they pay registration fees each term.
USHIP: Enrollment in USHIP is exclusive to UCR undergraduate students who pay full registration fees. Undergraduate students are automatically enrolled in USHIP when they pay registration fees each term.
All registered students are automatically enrolled in the UC Student Health Insurance Plan (UC SHIP) however there are a few other classes of individuals who may enroll in the plan on a voluntary basis. Those groups are:
- Recently graduated students who were covered by UC SHIP during the prior quarter
- Graduate students who are on a Filing Fee status
- Undergraduate students who are on a PELP status
- Dependents of students who are enrolled in the UC SHIP
- Graduate students who are on an approved (LOA) Leave of Absence
Non-registered students click here to enroll (This is to enroll in Continuation, Filing Fee, or Leave of Absence for yourself and your dependents)
Will my need-based financial aid pay for my SHIP Coverage?
For 2019-20, the annual cost of the mandatory Undergraduate Student Health Insurance Plan (USHIP) of $1773.48 ($591.16 per quarter) or comparable off campus insurance, will be factored into grants, loans and work-study programs offered to students who receive financial assistance.
When does SHIP coverage begin and end?
The Effective Date of Coverage for mandatory SHIP (GSHIP and USHIP) is the first day of the term if the registration fees (including the SHIP fee) have been paid before the last day of the term. Mandatory SHIP (GSHIP and USHIP) terminates when your SHIP expiration date passes and fees have not been paid by the last day of the term.
- The coverage dates are:
Fall: Sept. 23, 2019 through Jan. 1, 2020
Winter: Jan. 2, 2020 through March 24, 2020
Spring: March 25, 2020 through Sept. 27, 2020
Who are the carriers this academic year?
- Medical: Anthem Blue Cross
Dental: Delta Dental
Vision: Anthem Blue View Vision
Pharmacy: Optum RX
How can I get a copy of my medical insurance ID card?
You can get a copy of your ID card through the UC Ship StudentHealth app.
How can I get a copy of my dental insurance ID card?
Visit the Delta Dental website to access to your dental insurance ID information.
Is SHIP "free" for TAs (Teaching Assistants) and RAs (Research Assistants)?
If your TA or RA appointment hours are 25% or more, your SHIP fee is covered by your department. However, if you waive out of SHIP (even if you do so prior to your TA appointment for the term), the department will not pay for SHIP until the next term.
How do I appeal a denied waiver?
To appeal waiver, complete the Waiver Appeal Form and email a copy of it with your insurance ID card (front and back) to UCSHIP@AHPservice.com Please include your first and last name and your student ID number.
How much do the SHIP plans cost?
See the following rate schedules:
How much do the SHIP plans cost?
|Graduate Voluntary LOA||$3,268.00||$162.00||$49.80||$3,794.70||$1,264.90|
|Graduate Filing Fee||$3,268.00||$162.00||$49.80||$3,794.70||$1,264.90|
|Graduate - Spouse/DP||$3,268.00||$134.12||$110.05||$3,512.07||$1,170.69|
|Graduate - Child(ren)||$3,268.00||$149.00||$90.08||$3507.09||$1,169.03|
|Graduate - Spouse/DP+Child(ren)||$6,532.00||$291.00||$148.86||$6,971.88||$2,323.96|
|Undergraduate - Spouse/DP||$1,289.00||$118.00||$104.92||$1,511.94||$503.98|
|Undergraduate - Child(ren)||$1,289.00||$130.00||$88.99||$1,508.01||$502.67|
|Undergraduate - Spouse/DP+Child(ren)||
SHIP and the Waiver Option
Why SHIP is a Good Plan
- SHIP provides nationwide coverage- Exchange plans or private insurance plans may not provide national coverage.
- SHIP offers the most convenience- Students can see a doctor and nurse on campus with no out-of-pocket expense. X-rays, lab work and even prescriptions are available. With other health insurance plans, students pay out-of-pocket or will have to go off campus for covered care.
- SHIP provides vision and dental coverage at no extra cost– With many other health plans, vision and dental coverage is EXTRA.
- SHIP meets all the requirements of the Affordable Care Act.
- A student can be covered by SHIP even if the family is participating in Covered CA or a home state exchange plan.
You Can Rejoin SHIP
If you waived out of SHIP, but now realize it is the best plan for your needs, you can rejoin! Simply call the Student Health Services (SHS) Insurance office at (951) 827-5683 to sign up again.
Before You Submit a Waiver
If you have insurance and wish to be exempt from the UC SHIP Plan, your insurance plan must meet the following criteria:
- Must provide primary care within 50 miles of campus.
- Cannot limit the amount it will pay for any injury or illness you have during your lifetime
- Cannot have a pharmacy deductible greater than $250 per year
- Cannot require you to pay out-of pocket more than $6,600 per year
- Cannot have a clause that excludes a pre-existing condition
- International Plans
- no reimbursement plans accepted
- must have claims office in the United States
How to Submit a Waiver
If your plan meets the criteria and you would like to waive SHIP, submit an online waiver form by the appropriate deadline. You only need to submit one per academic year. There is a $50 fee for late forms. Forms will not be accepted after the first day of instruction. Please note ALL approved waiver submissions will be audited. Therefore, you will be required to upload a copy of your medical ID card (front and back) and insurance policy (international students) in order to submit your waiver.
University of California Riverside - Student Login Link:https://www2.academichealthplans.com/sp/htdocs/ssoLanding.php?asId=AHP-UCR
Waiver Dates Plan year 19-20
- Fall Quarter (June 1 - September 13)
- Winter Quarter (November 1 - December 16)
- Spring Quarter (February 1 - March 13)